How to Maintain Your Guest Bathroom
Every guest in someone’s home will at some point politely ask….”where is the powder room”. It ends up as the show piece of the house where while doing the necessary… one will notice your style, how clean it is and your thoughtfulness. Here are some tips on how to maintain your guest bathroom and make the visitor’s experience a pleasant one:
1) Toilet Bowl: Clean the interior/exterior daily. When there are visitors, use Disinfectant Wipes for the lids for an easy quick clean. Be sure to fold tip the toilet paper. And….even if guys love to leave the toilet seat up, place it down for your guests.
2) Sink: Use a good non-toxic bathroom cleaner like Method Bathroom Cleaner or Mrs. Meyer’s Bathroom Cleaner and spray using a clean white terry cloth to freshen up the sink. For a deep clean, use Barkeeper’s Friend or good ole fashion dish soap with a soft, non-abrasive sponge. Rinse, and dry with a soft microfiber cloth. Don’t forget to polish up those faucets.
3) Mirror: Everyone tends to splash onto the mirror causing water spots. Check the mirror and wipe clean as needed. For a deep clean, take a ladder and clean from top to bottom with a good glass cleaning product like Sprayway Glass Cleaner.
5) Floor: Keep the floor clean at all times. My favorite mop system is Bona for stone or wood. I particularly like using the spray mop which makes a cleaning a floor an easy quick process.
6) Trash: Be sure to remove trash frequently, especially when guests are coming in and out of the powder room and depositing used guest paper towelettes.
7) Final Touches: Ensure the soap dispenser is full at all times. It’s always nice to have a lotion dispenser available too. Offer some amenities such as: a good smelling candle burning. You may also consider a room spray on the toilet tank. Provide toothpaste, toothbrushes, dental floss, mouthwash, feminine products, cotton balls and Q-tips in a drawer. Finally, place an orchid on the counter.